New Way to be Human

Nov. 18 2004, my Mom was diagnosed with Stage IV Lung Cancer. I started this blog to chronicle her journey. July 19, 2005 she gave her life in the battle. This blog is my place to process through the journey I walked along with her, and now my journey through grief. It's also a place to discuss the effects cancer has on the lives it touches--survivors and caregivers alike. I'm a Navy wife, a Mom, and my mother's daughter now and forever.

Saturday, February 26, 2005

Things I Learned from Gramma W.

This of course relates to yesterdays post... These are some things I learned from my Gramma.

It's not a Sofa, or a Couch... It's a DAVENPORT.

Always stop at Wall-drug.

Barefoot is BEAUTIFUL.

It never hurts to spruce up one's hair, even if only to go for groceries.

Splurge a little and get your hair done once in a while (when going with grandkids in tow, choose a salon that comes with lollipops).

When there's no one else to blame... blame Bobble-head (Republicans are ALWAYS a good choice).

Never be afraid to voice your opinion.

Try not to look too "festive" when attending a funeral.

Willow-trees are not for swinging on, but they are good shade to play ball under.

If there are moaning sounds in the night... chances are it is not monsters or ghosts but wind in the pines... But checking with a flashlight just in case is ok.

Chattery grandchildren make good sleeping companions.

A little spoiling never hurt anybody.

If you eat too many sweets, too fast.... you WILL get a bellyache (something I didn't fully believe until adulthood).

Say Thank You.

Cards for Halloween, Valentine's Day, etc. are not excessive.

Attics are not scary.

Try not to look as if you were dressed by a pitchfork.

If you put a slick sleeping bag on top of a slick comforter... you may end up cold and covered up in the curtains by morning.

Always keep a stash of Milky Way bars in the fridge (I suspect her reasons for doing so were different than mine are now).

Speaking of stashes--Always have some Graham Crackers nearby.

Shots aren't so scary.

You can find friends even in weird places like hospitals.

Momentos of places visited and people loved should be kept and will be cherished by those who come after you.

Beaded necklaces, if worn well, are very fashionable.

Fiestiness will help you fight life's battles.

Marry a man who would make a good tricycle plumber.

The experience of pregnancy and childbirth will stay fresh in your mind long after your own kids are grown and gone... and you can and should share that with other generations when their time comes.

70+ years is not too long to love someone... especially your husband.

Having a 'perfect family' is unattainable... but having one full of love is noble and should be strived for.

These are things I thought of when I looked back over time with Gramma. Some of the things I remembered through conversations with other family members, some from things Mom would say that came from Gramma, and most came from... memories of times spent with Gramma herself. I think Gram was a pretty smart lady.

I was uniquely blessed to have such an amazing grandmother around when I was little. Gramma W. was one of my very, very, very favorite people to see... I loved when she came to see us, and I LOVED going to see her. I have so many memories wrapped up in their old green house. I always loved hugging her when we saw her and feeling her soft cheek up against mine... And I loved being spoiled (how awful was I when I'd come home from her house, Mom and Dad??? No... don't answer that).

I was sad and jealous when Gramma and Grandpa moved to Idaho and Luke and Gavin got to be the Grand-kids in proximity... But now I know that they needed Gram and Grandpa more than I did then, and I am thankful that they helped make them into the remarkable men that they are.

I have so many kid memories of Gramma... but the fewer 'more grown-up memories' I have are just as precious. When I called Gramma about this baby on this way she was by far the most excited person I talked to... And I was amazed at how much she remembered from each one of her pregnancies... and how happy her voice was recalling the entrance of each of her kids into the world. I so wish that she could see this little girl when she arrives... but little girl will be just as impacted by Gramma Wherry because of the impact Gramma had on me, and all of my family.

Those are some memories and thoughts that I have... I miss my Gramma already.

2 Comments:

  • At 4:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    i stumbled on your blog a while ago and just checked back in. i am so sorry for your loss. it's amazing how life is... losing Gramma just as you are awaiting the arrival of your new baby.
    the things you learned from Gram is a beautiful tribute that you can treasure forever.

     
  • At 9:55 PM, Blogger Val said…

    Thank you so much for posting and for taking the time to read my rambles. I'm glad that you stumbled in. :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home