New Way to be Human

Nov. 18 2004, my Mom was diagnosed with Stage IV Lung Cancer. I started this blog to chronicle her journey. July 19, 2005 she gave her life in the battle. This blog is my place to process through the journey I walked along with her, and now my journey through grief. It's also a place to discuss the effects cancer has on the lives it touches--survivors and caregivers alike. I'm a Navy wife, a Mom, and my mother's daughter now and forever.

Friday, January 06, 2006

Taking Down the Tree

I took down the Christmas Tree today, and I can't entirely explain why.... but it felt like I was burying Mom all over again. I guess it was maybe because it was all of HER ornaments I was taking down. And each one I touched brought back a memory--of Christmases when I was little, or putting up the tree with Mom (that was always OUR thing to do)... There was the ornament with the photo of the house that Mom grew up in that she cherished, and the crystal egg ornament that she loved so much... all the little wooden ornaments that we've hung since I was little.... Each one I took down, and put away and couldn't look at again. And it just made me feel like I was losing her all over.

It's been a tough couple of days inside my head. Outside of it, I'm doing very well, but inside different things are hitting pretty hard. Last night, I lay in bed for a long time thinking about Mom's last few days--little things about that time... Moments that she looked at Daddy and I could tell he was still her sweetheart, and moments when she called me by my aunt's name instead of mine... I thought of all the music I put in and listened to with her after the confusion had taken over and she wasn't able to verbalize anymore. I was just so hoping that the HER part of her still heard. I thought of her hands... and holding them, and the way her fingernails always looked... Just so many difficult things to remember. And they all sting just as much.

The thing is... I DO think I'm 'doing better.' But I don't really 'feel' better. All the grief I feel is every bit as bitter and intense as it was in the beginning and as it began to sink in. It's just... I don't live in it as constantly. It's always there... but I'm not always looking at it.

4 Comments:

  • At 9:29 PM, Blogger amanda said…

    The holidays are a time of friends and family, but what an intense time as well. So many rituals that immediately take us to another time and place. My wish for you is that one day you will be able to return to those memories of your mom as you celebrate the time she was here and the traditions that she created. I hope with all my heart that the punches stop coming at you. As always, you're in my thoughts...

     
  • At 5:15 PM, Blogger Minerva said…

    Christmas and its rituals really bring back the past don't they? I too looked at my tree and thought of my dad who died 5 years ago of lung cancer - before I used to weep a lot when I thought of him and remember the bad times..his death, his suffering towards the end. Now, more and more, I think of the good times, of the gregarious, charming, man he was and of his life, rather than his departing... I promise, that this will happen to you too.. It will take time, but it will happen...

    Thinking of you, as ever,

    Minerva

     
  • At 5:46 AM, Blogger Jessica said…

    I can't imagine what you're going through. You're in my thoughts and prayers today. Jess

     
  • At 1:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You are so brave to face your feelings! Truly. How much easier would it be not to have even hung the ornament, or allow yourself to think of those painful parts of your mom's last days.
    Until people go through a loss, and I think even society as a whole, think we should deal with our feelings by "keeping busy" or "moving on", whatever moving on means? I got pegged so many times as "feeling sorry for myself". Well, ya, I do feel sorry for myself, and my kids, and Len's family, and you. Grieving is a daily thing and changes the focus of our lives. It will take time and many of those ponderings to be this new person you started becoming when you lost your mom. I'm frankly honored to be this little speck that's part of this blogging community in your life. And knowing that you get me, the feelings I have in my grief, makes it easier. I wish you didn't have this pain in your life, but I am so greatful to our Lord that in His wisdom He directed me to your site. Thank you for being so honest, for coming by and always knowing just what to say and when to say it.
    Karyn

     

Post a Comment

<< Home