New Way to be Human

Nov. 18 2004, my Mom was diagnosed with Stage IV Lung Cancer. I started this blog to chronicle her journey. July 19, 2005 she gave her life in the battle. This blog is my place to process through the journey I walked along with her, and now my journey through grief. It's also a place to discuss the effects cancer has on the lives it touches--survivors and caregivers alike. I'm a Navy wife, a Mom, and my mother's daughter now and forever.

Monday, April 04, 2005

Miracles

This is from an earlier day... It got lost in blogland somehow, so I'm reposting it. :)

Life is full of miracles right now. The very best of them all is laying accross my lap as I type this. Her name is Carolyn Helen and she got here (on her own with no induction, no less!) on March 7. Giving birth to her was the most amazing thing I've ever done. That experience was full of the miraculous besides just... a baby entering the world.

After hearing from person after person that it was very unlikely that I would go into labor on my own any time soon and resigning myself to an induction on Wednesday, my water broke on Sunday night (the 6th). What was funny is I'd been into L&D the day before and had talked to a nurse who said I positively MUST get a birth ball. I wasn't going to, but Sunday decided what the heck? Husband and I went to Wal-mart and as we walked in, I said, "This is going to make the baby come I bet... We'll probably only use this thing tonight." Sure enough, a few hours later with the hugest GUSH you've ever seen my water had broken and we were headed to the hospital.

But... Baby C was still posterior. VERY posterior. Like... during the exams I thought they were reaching for my tonsils (Sorry to be graphic!). She stayed that way... and I stayed 2 cm dilated for about 10 hours... At 8 o'clock, the doctor was looking dismal. He was worried about the fact that my water was broken causing me to be more prone to infections... and we were making NO PROGRESS. All I could think was--He thinks this is going to end in a C section. So, they started pitocin... and I kept moving around. I had some Fentinol which only worked for about an hour and was meant to relax me more than anything (a very good thing as I was exhausted and needed to rest). A few hours later we were celebrating because I had dilated to 5 cm. And... I swear it wasn't 5 minutes later (though everyone else says it was 15 minutes or so), I was saying, "HELP! I really want to push!!!!" That made people move really fast, and guess what--I was Fully Dilated!

It wasn't long til Baby C was here... I don't think I'll ever forget watching as she wriggled out into the doctor's hands.... It took forever before I got to hold her as they repaired me and did the baby care thing. But now, this Angel and I are well-acquainted, learning about one another, and figuring out what our schedule looks like now.

Later that day, husband got a phone call from the squadron. The very chief that we've been holding such an atrocious grudge towards had pulled some strings... And set it up so that husband could go TAD to a 45 day school and STAY BACK from the detachment that leaves this weekend. The trade off was, husband got no leave and had to start the day I got home from the hospital. We've survived that though... and we're absolutely THRILLED that he gets to stay home a bit longer. Needless to say, we learned not to jump to conclusions and hold grudges against people in the chain of command, and God certainly reminded us to see him as a brother and not as an enemy.

Anyway... I don't think I am exaggerating when I use the M word. You might. That's ok. All we know is... we're hugely blessed and thankful. SO THANKFUL.I had really reached the end of my rope waiting for Baby C to get here. I was so worried and afraid she wouldn't have time with her daddy and that I wouldn't have help in my recovery period. I was starting to feel very Grry at God. I was starting to demand an answer for why everything seemed like it had to be uphill for us... And then all of this happened. I tell you the air has been charged with the miraculous...

I don't get God, but I know that He is good. And I know I am thankful for the work he's been doing (I'm convinced he's been working overtime on our behalf). I'm especially thankful for this amazing person sleeping so sweetly right here with me. Welcome to the world Baby C!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home