New Way to be Human

Nov. 18 2004, my Mom was diagnosed with Stage IV Lung Cancer. I started this blog to chronicle her journey. July 19, 2005 she gave her life in the battle. This blog is my place to process through the journey I walked along with her, and now my journey through grief. It's also a place to discuss the effects cancer has on the lives it touches--survivors and caregivers alike. I'm a Navy wife, a Mom, and my mother's daughter now and forever.

Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Scans, Plans, and Smelly Boats

Well, so we got the CT Scan results back today.

Not so good...

The original tumors in the lung are growing and there are more tumors there now. There is growth in the lymph nodes, most of the bone spots are the same with some growth in a couple areas and now the cancer is in Mom's liver. In the words of my favorite Carolyn toy, "BLEH!"

Needless to say that's not the news we wanted to hear, and we're done done done with Alimta. The doctor wants to start on a drug called Perifosine now. It's an oral drug (which Mom thinks is a perk) and it's brand-spanking new. The doc even had to check today to make sure that it was approved for use with Lung Cancer. It's still in the trials phase and they're messing around with dosages.

Some paperwork has to go through and Mom has to be officially approved. As long as that all happens, we're good to go with this stuff.

I was discouraged to hear the news about the scans, but encouraged that Mom seems to want to keep fighting. It made me really proud of her... and it makes me feel less scared. This stuff might not work either, but at least we're DOING something.

Mom also gets to go another couple weeks without treatments. Hopefully her blood counts will go back up and she can get a little stronger, and.... I'd still take some GOOD--I mean unquestionably GOOD days.

Andy is on the smelly boat now (Really smelly according to him.... Gross). Apparently he got some really yucky sheets... covered in--well you name the body fluid, and it's there. Lovely! I'm glad that our servicemember are so well taken care of, aren't you? *sigh* Also, someone stole his cardboard box. Not the stuff inside of it, just the box. What is it with random items of his walking off? And why in the world would you steal a cardboard box? I just don't get it.

He called tonight one last time before they are 'out there' on this Det. That was sad and hard, especially on the heels of our other bad news. On the sort of upside, it looks like this IS just going to be a Detachment which means that he will *possibly* get to take some leave and come see us between this Det. and his deployment. It means more time away from us in the long run, but another chance to see him in the short run.

I still feel like I'm made of steel sometimes. I imagine one of these days though, the dam is going to break and I'll be a wreck for a while. I guess that won't make me any less strong. It'll just give me a wet face.

So, as I said, We March on...

1 Comments:

  • At 8:36 PM, Blogger Red said…

    You are strong and you are made of more than steel. Something that is indestructable. I thought I would crack in my length of dealing with my tradgedy, but I never did. I know that if I didnt, you wont either!

    Bug hugs to you!
    Red

     

Post a Comment

<< Home