New Way to be Human

Nov. 18 2004, my Mom was diagnosed with Stage IV Lung Cancer. I started this blog to chronicle her journey. July 19, 2005 she gave her life in the battle. This blog is my place to process through the journey I walked along with her, and now my journey through grief. It's also a place to discuss the effects cancer has on the lives it touches--survivors and caregivers alike. I'm a Navy wife, a Mom, and my mother's daughter now and forever.

Wednesday, July 13, 2005

The 'H word'

So we're there. We're to 'The H Word.'

Hospice came today. The Doctor determined that Mom was not a good candidate for the clinical trial, that she was, in fact, no longer a good candidate for any sort of treatment to fight the cancer.

Comfort and Pain Management is the order of the day now.

As I said, In-home hospice came this morning. They seem very nice. They will take care of things like giving Mom baths and washing her hair, as well as providing her pain meds, and spiffy things like a hospital bed. The help is so appreciated.

The thing that scares us all is that when you sign on the dotted line for Hospice you no longer do blood transfusions. Mom's blood counts suck... All the time they suck. Without transfusions, I think things will go very quickly.

This hurts worse than anything I've ever experienced. I'm still 'marching on' with large quantities of sugar. You know what they say about a spoonful of sugar... Obviously, bucketloads are necessary now.

The doctor said Maybe three months, definitely not six. With the blood situation as it is, I'm not sure we'll even have that long. I am praying she makes it for her brothers to visit and until Andy's leave time.

I get the sense that in a lot of ways, each day is going to be harder than the last. There are moments that I'm not sure how I'm going to survive this.... but I know somehow I will.

1 Comments:

  • At 7:38 AM, Blogger Tracie said…

    I wish I was there for you to hug and cry on

     

Post a Comment

<< Home