New Way to be Human

Nov. 18 2004, my Mom was diagnosed with Stage IV Lung Cancer. I started this blog to chronicle her journey. July 19, 2005 she gave her life in the battle. This blog is my place to process through the journey I walked along with her, and now my journey through grief. It's also a place to discuss the effects cancer has on the lives it touches--survivors and caregivers alike. I'm a Navy wife, a Mom, and my mother's daughter now and forever.

Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Hope

For the record, I do have it. I feel like this blog weighs several tons. It seems to be so full of loss. I wish that I could believe that it's because I am somehow fixating on loss, but in reality, I think that my every day life was just full of it this year.

However, it doesn't escape me that folks who are touched by cancer live by hope. And account after account of loss I guess just isn't 'hope-filled' (though even in the passing of people we love there is hope... and somehow a bit of joy even filters through now and again).

With that in mind, I want to try to make a concerted effort to inject more hope here. Sometime in the next week I want to post the first of what I want to call "Profiles of Hope." In short, this will be my chance to throw the spotlight on some remarkable people living day by day with the reality of cancer, and surviving.

On top of that, and despite my late-night ramblings, I want to assure readers again that hope is something I have. My ire is up when it comes to this beast and I am determined to fight it in my own way. I am a caregiver survivor. And I have been touched by cancer in ways too numerous to count. I won't let it have the last word.

The weather here today was very strange...When I woke up the sun was shining so brightly that I breathed in a sigh of relief. The light was here at last. But, it rained most of the day. All day, the rain and the sun seemed to be competing. The sun would dapple our yard with sunspots, and then the rain would come again. This evening we had both rain and sun and I tell you the truth--half of my yard was dry, and the other half was being rained on.

That's how I feel in my life right now. Sunshine is breaking through the sadness that has surrounded the events of my life. It seems that light and dark are battling it out.

I know who will win.

I know because I AM a light-bearer.

I will try to do a better job of living up to that title.

1 Comments:

  • At 10:20 PM, Blogger KinnicChick said…

    In this great big thing we call life, you just have to live your day one minute at a time. I'm always grateful to see each and every person who steps out into the ether of the web and injects some little ray of insight they've learned about their experience. Every word out here is one more word that might be helpful to someone. I'm grateful for your presence here. I'm looking forward to your profiles of hope.

    I'm truly sorry for the losses you've experienced. And I know that you've also had a fullness of grace to go with it. We all have. But it's the losses that need airing so that we can move on. I think everybody understands that. *hugs*

     

Post a Comment

<< Home