New Way to be Human

Nov. 18 2004, my Mom was diagnosed with Stage IV Lung Cancer. I started this blog to chronicle her journey. July 19, 2005 she gave her life in the battle. This blog is my place to process through the journey I walked along with her, and now my journey through grief. It's also a place to discuss the effects cancer has on the lives it touches--survivors and caregivers alike. I'm a Navy wife, a Mom, and my mother's daughter now and forever.

Monday, August 15, 2005

Ok, So Let's Talk Lung Cancer Stats...

I'm feeling kind of fiery about lung cancer awareness right now. I don't think it's a bad thing as long as I don't let it get in the way of my grief. In fact, I think it's really important.

So here are the shocking stats for those who might be even remotely interested:

Over 160,000 people will die this year from lung cancer. 70,000 will be women.

Lung Cancer is the leading cause of cancer death in the United States.

Lung Cancer will claim more lives than breast cancer, prostate cancer, colon cancer, liver cancer, kidney cancer, and melanoma COMBINED.

Over 50% of new lung cancer cases will be diagnosed at a very late stage—Stage IIIb or IV— and only 5% of those diagnosed are expected to live past five years.

It's JUST a smoker's disease? Check this out:

Current smokers: 35-40% of new lung cancer cases
Former smokers: 50% of new lung cancer cases
Never smoked: 10-15% of new lung cancer cases

Even if ALL smoking were stopped TODAY we would still face decades of people suffereing with this disease.

The survival rate for lung cancer hasn't improved in over 20 years. It is roughly the same as it was in 1971 when NIXON was president.

Over 50% of lung cancer cases are diagnosed in the late stages when a 'cure' is rarely thought to be possible.

There is virtually no process in place to screen for lung cancer. The only thing commonly done is chest x-rays which are a fairly unreliable way to detect lung cancer--especially in the early stages when more could be done to stop the disease. (However, it CAN catch it, so if you think you might be at risk or are experiencing symptoms by all means GET ONE!)


Lung cancer claims the lives of 85 percent of newly diagnosed patients within FIVE YEARS. That's a 15% survival rate That is a stark contrast to the 80% of those diagnosed with breast cancer who will survive five years or more.


What is perhaps most staggering though is the lack of funding lung cancer research receives. The figures break down like this:
$13,953 per breast cancer death
$10,318 per prostate cancer death
$4,618 per colorectal cancer death
$1,723 per lung cancer death

Pretty crazy, huh? Noise needs to be made, and I'm planning on making some.

I'd also like to add that it's not just Lung Cancer that gets lousy funding. There are all sorts of other types that are marginalized and under-researched. My friend Bob is fighting pancreatic cancer right now. The statistics are just as grim and the funding just as light.

However, I think the biggest part of our problem is the stigma associated with lung cancer. I find that VERY unfair. People think they are doing something for lung cancer when they start or support smoking cessation classes, but as the stats suggest above, former smoker are STILL at risk. More needs to be done for folks who actually GET the cancer without placing the blame ON THE VICTIMS.

If after suffering through all of these stats you'd happen to be interested in more information check out:

www.lchelp.org

or

http://lungcanceralliance.org/facing/facts.html

I think it's worth being educated about and worth DOING something about. There are lives at stake.

One more thing--

If you happen to be reading this and struggling with the disease remember that YOU are more than these statistics. YOU CAN beat the odds! Be proactive and don't let numbers get you down. You are a person with fire and spunk, NOT a statistic.

Hehe. That's it for my friendly public service announcement.

1 Comments:

  • At 5:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Great information Val!!! And thank you for what you said at my post. It was a week of hard work as I blogged it, and have run through so many feelings in the process. I still don't know if I come off sounding like the very type of person who attacked me or not, but as I said, if I want to stay authentic here.....
    Will continue to pray for you and the others you mention. You are doing a great work keeping this info out there.
    And the picture you posted is too precious! Thank you for sharing it!
    Much love, karyn

     

Post a Comment

<< Home